Wednesday 9 June 2010

My Life In A Caravan

I've reached an age now where I've decided I need a good set of waterproofs...

As several of my one followers will know, I am now living down in Cornwall in a caravan to complete the final stretch of my Masters course. I am conducting a survey of the Lizard and looking for seven important crop wild relatives. I have embarked on this two month stint with mixed feelings; I'm fairly sure this is the sort of work I want to be doing when I leave education, and what better opportunity to sample my desired profession. But my word I'm a long way from home. I think the whole experience would be slightly easier if I wasn't living in a caravan in the middle of nowhere. Here is the caravan by the way:
Here's the old slaughter house I'm next to:
And here's the dead flies stuck in the window of the caravan:
So as you can see, not exactly luxury accommodation, but as no funding was offered for this project, I've not done too badly. The evenings are somewhat lonesome, but travelling around spectacular coastline all day makes it all worthwhile.

I'm hoping to update this fairly regularly now I'm hooked up to the internet, but as I'm not as computer savvy as I thought, I will draw this to a close for today as this has taken me about an hour so far, and a gang of four Shetland ponies are eyeing up my caravan as a scratching post.

The trials of conservation.


No comments:

Post a Comment